NameDrop is a new feature in iOS 17 that allows you to quickly and easily share your contact information with other iPhones. It uses the NFC chip in your iPhone to establish a connection with the other iPhone, and then you can choose to share or receive contact information.
How to use NameDrop
To use NameDrop, simply hold the top of your iPhone near the top of the other iPhone. You’ll see a faint glow emerge from the top of both devices to indicate a connection is being made. Continue holding and NameDrop will appear on both screens.
Select Share or Receive
You and the recipient can then select the following:
- Receive Only: Receive the other iPhone’s contact card.
- Share: Share your contact card with the other iPhone.
If one user selects Share, the other user must select Receive Only. In this instance, your contact cards will be shared gracefully. Now, as you attempt this process again, you’ll be prompted with the AirDrop notification.
Why use NameDrop?
NameDrop is a convenient and easy way to share your contact information with another iPhone user. It’s also a secure way to share your information, as it uses AirDrop to transfer your contact card.
Benefits of using NameDrop:
- It’s fast and easy. Just hold your iPhones near each other and NameDrop will do the rest.
- It’s secure. NameDrop uses AirDrop to transfer your contact card, which is encrypted.
- It’s versatile. You can use NameDrop to share your contact information with anyone who has an iPhone, regardless of whether they’re in your contacts list.
What to do if NameDrop is not working
If NameDrop is not working, there are a few things you can check:
- Make sure both iPhones are running iOS 17.
- Make sure both iPhones are NFC enabled. To do this, go to Settings > General > NFC and make sure the toggle is turned on.
- Make sure both iPhones are unlocked.
- Bring the top of the iPhones closer together. The NFC chip is located in the top of the iPhone, so the closer the two phones are, the better the chance of a successful connection.
How to do the iOS 17 contact share
To do the iOS 17 contact share, simply follow the steps above for NameDrop. If NameDrop is not working, you can also share your contact information using the following methods:
- Messages: Open the Messages app and start a new conversation with the person you want to share your contact information with. Tap the + button in the bottom left corner and select Contact. Select the contact you want to share and tap Done.
- Mail: Open the Mail app and create a new email. Tap the To field and start typing the name of the person you want to share your contact information with. A list of suggested contacts will appear. Tap the contact you want to share and their email address will be added to the To field.
- AirDrop: Open the Control Center and tap the AirDrop icon. Select the person you want to share your contact information with. Tap the contact you want to share and it will be sent to the other person’s iPhone.
How to change your name on your iPhone
To change your name on your iPhone, go to Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, & Email. Tap Edit next to your name and make your changes. Tap Done to save your changes.
How to enable NameDrop on iOS 17
NameDrop is enabled by default on iOS 17. To check if it is enabled, go to Settings > General > NFC and make sure the toggle for NameDrop is turned on.
NameDrop is supported on all iPhones running iOS 17.
How to use NameDrop to connect with new people
Imagine you are at a networking event and you meet someone you want to stay in touch with. You could ask them for their business card, but they don’t have one. Or, you could ask them for their email address, but they don’t have their phone handy.
Instead, you could simply hold up your iPhone and say, “Hey, do you want to NameDrop?”
The other person will hold up their iPhone and you’ll both see each other’s contact information on your screens. You can then choose to share or receive contact information.
It’s that easy! NameDrop is a quick and easy way to stay in touch with new people, and it’s a great way to make a good impression.
NameDrop is a quick and easy way to share your contact information with other iPhones. It is a great way to save time and hassle, and it is especially useful if you are meeting new people or networking.